Sci Comm Research
Currently, I am part of the following projects:
- * The Great Escape. Investigating the impact of 'escape rooms' as science communication.
- * SciRoc. EU Horizon project. Investigating public perceptions of robotics and A.I. at Smart City Robot Competitions.
- * Royal Institution Christmas Lectures Evalution. Social Media analysis.
My sci comm research interests are cultural evolution, cognitive evolution, digital privacy/rights, comedy, games.
Teaching and Training in Sci Comm
I am a lecturer in the Science Communication Unit at UWE. I teach on the following programs:
- Science, the Public and Media. MSc module.
- Writing Science module. MSc module.
- Science in Public Spaces module. MSc module.
- Science on Air and on Screen module. MSc module.
- Wildlife, Film and Media. BSc module.
- Science Communication module. BSc module.
- People and Science module. Foundation level course.
- Biomedical Skills. BSc Module.
I teach on UWE's science communication masterclass. More information here.
I am a trainer on UWE's "Science Communication Building Blocks" CPD. I give sessions on: Getting started in science communication, Working with schools, Engaging hard to reach audiences, Inclusivity in science communication, Using social media to communicate, How to run a social media campaign for event promotion science. More sessions are available by my colleagues. The full list can be found here.
Events and Activities
I am a regular guest (first Monday of the month) on "Love and Science", a radio show and podcast hosted by malcolm Love and Andrew Glester.
I have worked at, helped organise, or ran activities at:
- The British Science Festival,
- Newcastle Science Festival,
- Newcastle Community Festival,
- Greenlight for Girls Days ,
- The European Gender Summit,
- BBC (Mr. Bloom’s Nursery Roadshow, Ready, Set, Grow!),
- The Big Event